Find Out How to Protect Your Pet from Fleas & Ticks
Bravecto Flea & Tick Prevention Coupon and Drawing for Amazon Echo Dot Details Below!
Prevention and protection from fleas and ticks is an important part of responsible pet care. Fleas and ticks can be all around your pet’s environment. Flea eggs can be found in your home in rugs, carpets and bedding. Outside there are a host of places that flea eggs can survive in grass, soil, and small crevices such as sidewalks. Fleas thrive in warm, humid climates such as Florida. The number one way to prevent fleas on your pet is to use a flea preventative regularly and consistently.
Tips for Prevention of Fleas:
- If you have carpets and rugs in your home, vacuum them frequently and immediately dispose of the contents accumulated in vacuum.
- Brush your pet regularly with a flea comb.
- Wash all pet bedding on a weekly basis.
- If your pet goes outdoors, make sure to wash your pet on a regular basis.
- Lawn treatments may also be needed if you notice that your pet continually gets re-infected.
- Rid your lawn of all dark, moist shady places as this is a perfect breeding ground.
Some symptoms that your pet has fleas:
- Visible black-looking dander that turns red under water (flea poop).
- Hair loss in certain areas
- Hot spots
- Constant scratching and licking of skin
- Pale gums
How can fleas harm my pet?
Fleas can consume 15 times their body weight in blood. If your pet is infected with fleas they can quickly become anemic. This can be especially dangerous to kittens and puppies. Some pets are also allergic to the saliva of fleas and can develop flea allergy dermatitis.
Should I worry about my pet getting ticks?
Ticks, like fleas, look for a host to attach to and suck blood to survive. Ticks tend to be most seen in the late spring and summer. In Florida, they can be found in tall grasses and brush. If your pet has been outside, it is best to check your pet for ticks before coming back into your home. Ticks usually like to attach to a pet’s neck, ears, feet or head. If you find a tick, take caution in removing the tick as any contact with the tick’s blood can transmit infection to you and your pet. Ticks can cause anemia, lyme disease, and a lethal infection called cytauxzoonosis.
Some symptoms that your pet has been infected by a tick:
- High Fever
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of Appetite
Dr. Alex at Pet Xpert Animal Clinic, believes that flea and tick prevention is key to ensure a pet’s health. If you need to purchase your pet’s flea and tick preventative, please call our office at 407-886-PETS(7387) or stop by the clinic (1673 Rock Springs Rd, Apopka, FL 32712). Don’t forget to ask for your rebate and a chance to be entered for a chance to win an Amazon Echo when you purchase Bravecto!